Friday, June 12, 2009

Sulfur & Magnetic Resonance Poetry


New poem. I liked the way the words of the title sounded, so I made a poem [series of poems/I'm not sure what this is now]. This all has come out of reflections based on the last couple months in PhotoGenX. I would love critique/constructive criticism.

Sulfur & Magnetic Resonance Poetry

1.
She sat across on a hardback cushionless wicker
chair, wanting just to rest for the night, staring into
a white-light square with wide open nighttime eyes.
The cups standing on the shadowy floor
compete for my attention in magnetic compulsion
to pick them up. So I comply. She doesn’t move
her eyes from the glow; I scoop up one
cup, another cup, and shuffle them to the barren
sink. The dishes will wait for the sun.

2.
You say the words slowly, annunciating each
syllable, waiting for the timing to be right.
The way the S rolls off your tongue reminds me
of other S words, like sexy, or sycamore,
or pseudonym. The sulfur tattoos your tongue and lips
like a tribal design, the meaning unclear to everyone
including the owner. But it looks cool.
I know your meaning when you say sulfur,
that I smell dead, or that I have strength.

3.
Did you ever want to run away to Paris, Lady,
and live homeless under the Eiffel Tower
in the afternoons and live at cafés for lunch
and dinner? We can sleep through breakfast
together. I’ll whisper French words in your ears
while we wait for lunch time, and you won’t know
what I’m saying, and I won’t know my words either.
Poetry without translation is often the easiest to swallow
and believe with open ears.

4.
I write about you often, in my notebook &
in my dreams. I talk about you when I write.
You are not the same, today, and you will be
someone else, tomorrow or next year.
I don’t know who you are, & you are me
sometimes. I love when others write of you,
after I get over my jealousy.

5.
Resonance draws her fingers across the white–
washed walls ringing with the tone to take
my feet as captive dancers, drumming down
my spine, up my brain stem, simply spinning
some beautiful beats. I lose thoughts before
I can convert any music to memory.
Why don’t you play Authority Song
as you tell me everything I’m not scarred of
anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, this is the best thing I've seen from you yet. I really like it! I think part 2 is my favorite. And you know I don't go around saying stuff like that just for kicks. I am very serious about my poetry. So...you should be proud. And keep writing. Keep making your language more musical and precise. Use strange images. Surprise yourself.

    Love ya bro.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. All except what I'd consider to be a typo- unless you're purposely taking 'poetic license' and respelling enunciate ;-)

    ReplyDelete