Saturday, June 20, 2009

Photographer

This week, our lecture topic was On Doing Missions, and a photographer who has been in YWAM and doing photography in YWAM for years, led the lectures. Jan (like "yawn") C. Schlegel is a brilliant photographer and a fun person to be around.

I want to talk more about Jan's lectures and what we did this week, but I also wanted to plug something really cool that has come up for him.

Hasselblad has a master photographer competition every year. This is a very, very prestigious competition. To even be selected as one of the top ten photographers in any category is a huge accomplishment. Jan submitted his photos thinking nothing would happen, but he is one of the ten finalists in the portrait category.

This means a lot to Jan, and it means a lot to me now and the whole PhotoGenX class. Jan is completely dedicated to giving his life to end world hunger, and that is what a lot of his work, both photos and otherwise, center around. I can't think of anyone more deserving of a prime platform to reach world renowned photographers to help change the world and fight against hunger and injustice.

So, what I think would be amazing, is if you could spare a couple minutes to vote for him to win this competition. I can't make you, and if you find a photographer you like more, I can't stop you from voting for them. But I don't know any of them like I've come to know Jan a little in the last few days. But I'll let his photos speak for themselves.

http://www.jan-schlegel.com/ (Jan's website with his photos. Amazing work here...)
http://www.hasselblad.com/mastersPublicJury (Hasselblad site where you can vote. From "Select Category" choose portrait. He is the seventh photographer, I think. On the right hand side is a link to vote.)

Thanks for your time, and I hope you enjoy the photos that have started to view me while I view them...

Christopher



(P.S. I just got a chance to do this myself. It's been hard with no computer... There is a form asking for personal information. I understand if you don't want to fill this in for someone you don't know. I probably wouldn't fill it in. Don't waste your time at the Hasselblad site if you don't want to give personal info, but please do check out Jan's website.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Toph! Sorry I haven't been a very consistent correspondent, lately. I looked at Jan's photos and was extremely impressed, especially when I read that none of his pieces are digitally edited, enhanced, or altered. Thank you for sharing that!
    I will do my best to visit your team blog on a somewhat consistent basis. I look forward to hearing more stories, and of course seeing more pictures!
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete